MHG11656 - Golspie Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Built, 19th Century - 1868 AD to 1868 AD)
NH89NW 21 8256 9975
See also NH79NE 45.
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p. 71, 90) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974 <1>
(Location cited as NH 859 996). Golspie Station, built 1868 for the Sutherland Rly. A one-storey and attic building with mullioned windows. At the N end of the station is a skew overbridge with a plaque dated 1871, commemmorating the Duke of Sutherland's involvement with the extension to the north.
J R Hume 1977
Main station building is a 1 and a half-storey structure built on an L-plan, with the roof extending down to form a platform awning. On the opposing platform there is a 5-bay single-storey wooden shelter and a wooden goods shed of a standard Highland Railway pattern. Linking the two platforms is a lattice-girder foot-bridge of a type common in the region. Also of note is the overbridge to the immediate N of the station (NH89SW 21.01).
J R Hume 1977. <2>
This intermediate station was opened (by the Sutherland Rly) on 13 April 1868. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
R V J Butt 1995. <3>
An old photograph, probably taken in the 1930s or 1940s, was forwarded to the HER by a participant in a Community Timeline course, run by ARCH. <4>
<1> Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.
<2> Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 318-19; pl. 121 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
<3> Butt, R V J, 1995, The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present, 106 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2009.
<4> Private individuals, 2010, Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie, Beryl Nicol (private collection) (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24858.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sinclair B Calder. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900).
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 318-19; pl. 121.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 106.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Beryl Nicol (private collection).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8256 9975 (17m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7009 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7009 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/148059 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.