MHG11660 - Findspot of symbol stone (number 3), Littleferry Links
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH89NW 2.3 814 965.
No. 3. A fragment of red sandstone, of irregular five-sided shape, found in 1872 near the same place. It measures 6ins in length, 6ins in width, and 2 1/2ins in thickness, and has sculptured on one face, with incised lines, two concentric circles and portions of three curved lines branching from the outer circle; probably forming the middle part of the mirror symbol or the double disc symbol.
This stone (0.14m x 0.14m x 0.06m) is in Dunrobin Museum No. 12 (Acc.no. 1872.4). May be part of No. 11 (ie. NH89NW 2.1).
Information from R Jones 1980.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 102, No. 298 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8140 9660 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15342 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.