MHG11706 - St Michael's Well, Station Road, Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH79SE 8 7989 9001.
(NH 7989 9001) St. Michael's Well (NR) (site) OS 6" map, (1960)
St. Michael's Well "This name applies to a very large spring of splendid water. Some 20 years ago it was partially covered in with stonework to protect it from Cattle etc. It is one of the points of the Parliamentary Boundary of the Burgh".
Name Book 1873.
On OS 25" map, 1905 an engine shed occupies the site. Only the foundations of the shed survive, and there is no trace of the well. The railway was built about 1902. About 6m E of the published site is a stone built obelisk inscribed "St. Michael's Well", which is undoubtedly commemorative as it is not part of a well. It may have been erected in 1868, as there is a local tradition that in that year a local MP moved St. Michael's Well "about 200 yards to NE" presumably from its original site, though this sounds dubious.
Visited by OS (A A) 29 March 1971.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 23 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7989 9001 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:24652 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24652 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14853 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.