MHG11710 - Leathad Leanaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
NH79SW 6 717 947.
('E' NH 7171 9472) ('F' NH 7165 9477) ('G' NH 7166 9477) Hut Circles (NR)
('H' NH 7175 9483) ('J' NH 7167 9490) Hut Circles (NR)
OS 25" map, (1968)
Centred at NH 716 947 on the SW slopes of Leathad Leanaich, is a settlement of thirteen stone-walled huts (A-N) and an associated field system.
Hut 'A' is well preserved, but peat build up has obscured details, such as wall thickness, in the others. The entrance to huts 'C', 'K' and 'H' is not apparent. Except for 'M' and 'N', the entrance in the others is from the S and marked by a simple gap in the bank.
Hut 'A' is circular and measures c. 10.5m in diameter between wall centres. Occasional inner and outer facing stones are visible giving a wall thickness of 1.7m, but insufficient for accurate internal or over- all measurement.
'B', set into a slope, is circular and measures c. 10.5m in diameter between wall centres.
'C', is 12.5m in diameter between centres of an ill-defined wall.
'D', is circular and measures c. 12.5m in diameter between wall centres. 'E', described by RCAHMS (1911) as an ill-defined oval hut circle, measures c. 13.0m N-S by c. 11.0m between wall centres. A contemporary field wall extends NNE from the NE side of the hut and another extends SSE from the E side of the entrance.
'F' and 'G' are adjacent, lying WNW - ESE. 'F' measures c. 10.5m between centres of an ill-defined wall.
'G', described by RCAHMS as an enclosure on an artificial mound, abuts on to the ESE of 'F'. Occasional inner facing stones are visible giving an internal diameter of 5.5m within a wall spread to c2.0m all round. The interior of 'G' is lower than 'F'. A 3.5m wide gap in the wall between them suggests intercommunication.
'H' is mutilated and measures c. 11.5m in diameter between wall centres. 'J' is visible as a circular platform, c. 11.0m in diameter, built up on the slope.
'K' is oval and built up on the slope, measuring c. 11.5m N-S by c. 9.5m between centres of a wall spread to c. 3.0m on the SW arc, but only apparent as a rickle of stones on the NE arc.
'L' is oval on plan, measuring c. 12.5m N-S by c. 10.5m between wall centres.
'M' is visible as an oval platform, set into the slope measuring c. 7.0m NE-SW by c. 9.0m transversely. A hollow in the NW between the excavated and built up areas of the platform may be the entrance.
'N' built up on the slope, is circular and measures c. 8.5m in diameter between wall centres. The entrance is in the SE.
The field system, formed by stone clearance heaps with occasional lynchets and field walls, is best defined in the area immediately to the W of hut 'E' where a typical plot measures about 35m by 20m.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (R L) 22 October 1969.
Huts 'C', 'D', 'K', 'L' and 'M' surveyed and 'F', 'G', 'H' and 'J' revised at 1/2500.
Huts 'A', 'B' and 'N' surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (J M) 14 May 1975.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 42, No. 119 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7176 9477 (792m by 795m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14870 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.