MHG11726 - Chambered Cairn, Carn Liath
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH79NW 7 7411 9945.
(NH 7411 9945) Carn Liath (NR) (Chambered Cairn) (NR) Stone Cup with perforated handle found AD 1860 (NAT)
OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Torboll (Carn Liath): A round chambered cairn. The steep-sided cairn is of bare stones and has a diameter of 60ft. The line of outer half of the passage is seen as a hollow running through the cairn material. The chamber is complete except for roof.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
In 1860 when collecting stones from this cairn a large stone cup with perforated handle was found in this cairn and is now deposited in museum at Dunrobin Castle.
Name Book 1873.
A large chambered cairn, generally as described above. It measures about 19m in diameter and has an average height of about 2.3m. The passage and chamber are well-defined.
Visited by OS (W D J) 7 April 1964.
Carn Liath, a chambered cairn, as described and planned by Miss Henshall, now preserved in a clearing in a forestry plantation.
In Dunrobin Museum is a steatite bowl from Torboll (Acc No: X 56) which may be the 'large stone cup with perforated handle' noted in the ONB (1873), but the date of accession is not known. It measures 6.7ins in diameter and 3.4ins high. (see also NH79NE 37)
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 November 1980.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 9, 118 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3399.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 47-8, No. 134 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 332, SUT 58; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 47-8, No. 134.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 118.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 332, SUT 58; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7410 9945 (40m by 40m)|
- CUP (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1772 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1772 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14829 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.