MHG11737 - Court house nr Evelix Farmhouse
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- COURT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- GALLOWS (Undated)
- None recorded
NH79SE 17 7704 9002.
An old Regality court-house dating from about 1600 stood near Evelix Farm-house (NH 7693 9001). It was used latterly as a barn but is now demolished. Its 'Gallows Tree' stood nearby.
W Calder 1955.
The whole of E wall of court-house and c2m of the S gable survive to a height of c1m, incorporated in the line of a modern field wall at NH 7704 9002. The building has been 12m long within walls 0.8m thick and the E wall contains a central doorway 1.0m wide. According to the farmer at Evelix the Gallows Tree stood until recently in a niche in a wall at NH 7701 9000.
Visited by OS (A A) 25 March 1971.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7704 9002 (20m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14840 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.