MHG11745 - Proncy Castle

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • MOTTE (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
  • CASTLE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH79SE 3 7712 9258.
Proncy Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 6" map, (1960)

The remains of a small stone tower erected on a motte. The motte, scarped from a natural mound varies from 12-15' above ridge to south from which it has been isolated by a ditch of which distinct traces remain. The surface area of mound is c100' diameter. Round the edge remains of a stone wall crop out at intervals, with traces of buildings on its inner side, and within this is a raised area about 20' broad extending all round the enceinte with occasional traces of walling on inner side. The entrance to motte seems to be indicated by a gap about 18' wide in rampart of S side with a sunk path leading diagonally up the mound.
The foundations of tower, rectangular & shell-mortared lie in centre of motte and measure c20' NE-SW by 12', and possibly 5' thick.
Several detached portions of massive, grouted masonry lie to S of the tower. The foundations are now turf-covered.
Proncy Castle formed part of the lands granted by Hugo Freskyn to Gilbert de Moravia c 1211.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; C D Bentinck 1926.

Proncy Castle, the turf-covered foundations of tower surmounting an earlier motte, as described by Simpson. The summit of motte is level and near circular measuring c34m in diameter.
The stone wall around it does not appear to conform to rim, but insufficient is visible to determine its plan. In SE sector at base of mound are traces of an angular corner, and there are indications that the wall continued W from it on a near straight alignment up the slope to join an exposed section c.5m long and c.0.4m high immediately to E of alleged entrance. This section is dry built of carefully laid small flat slabs, and may be part of a barmkin contemporary with the tower. Quarrying has destroyed any details of the entrance. It is uncertain what the raised area around the enceinte represents. It varies in width from about 5.0m to about 7.5m, and it is possible that it is merely a result of the quarrying which has mutilated area around tower. The walling noted by Simpson (Bentinck 1926) on its inner side and traces of buildings noted by RCAHMS are not now evident. The ditch on S is now scarcely visible and it cannot be ascertained if it ever surrounded the motte which is protected in the E and W by dry valleys. Resurved at 1/2500. Visited by OS (A A) 24 March 1971.


Proncy Castle (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG18292.


Proncy Castle (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG18383.


Proncy Castle. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11455.


Proncy Castle, {n.d.}, Proncy Castle, Dornoch (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2639.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 52, No. 152 (Text/Report). SHG2657.


Bentinck, C D, 1926, Dornoch: cathedral and parish, 430-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1974.


Yeoman, P A, 1988, 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33, 131, no. 101 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1131.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7713 9259 (70m by 69m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH79SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DORNOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.