MHG11749 - Chambered Long Cairn, Camore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Markered by FC between track & long high natural ridge, which it appears to be designed to shadow. Trenched across the middle (open), stones exposed there, large & small cobbles in tree root fall - HAW 8/2003
Dornoch Heritage Soc Site 16
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/03/03
NH78NE 1 7716 8970.
(NH 7716 8970) Cairns (NR) - (Two shown) (includes also NH78NE 19) OS 6" map, (1959)
A chambered round cairn probably of Orkney-Cromarty type, the remains of which are now planted over.
It has had a diameter of about 47' and survives to a maximum height of 5', much of the stone having been removed a little before RCAHMS's visit in 1909. Near the centre of the cairn is exposed the top of an upright slab lying east-west and measuring 3'9" long by 9" thick. At its SE corner is another now leaning set with axis north-south. Yet another slab also aligned north-south is visible just inside the south edge of the cairn.
These slabs suggest the presence of a chamber entered from the south side of the cairn.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1972.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 49, No. 141 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 580, SUT 59 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
Robertson SJT, 1993, Camore & Sydera Woods Settlement of Hut Circles, Dornoch 1993 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2720.
Robertson SJT, 1993, Prehistoric Dornoch (Text/Manuscript). SHG2728.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 49, No. 141.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Robertson SJT. 1993. Camore & Sydera Woods Settlement of Hut Circles, Dornoch 1993.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Robertson SJT. 1993. Prehistoric Dornoch.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 580, SUT 59.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7716 8970 (60m by 60m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5493 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5493 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14614 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.