MHG11753 - The Castle, Dornoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) LAIRDS HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH78NE 13 797 897.
'The Castle', quite a different building from the Bishop's Palace (NH78NE 6), stood on the 'common gait' now the High Street, south of Gilchrist Square (NH 798 897). The building containing the Town Clerk's office now stands on part of the site. In 1630, Angus Angussone's tenement 'on which the new stone foundstone called the Castle was built on the west', is recorded (OPS 1855). Orig Paroch Scot 1855; W Calder 1949.
No trace. According to Miss MacKay (E R MacKay, Ach na Craobhan, Rearquhar) there is no record to suggest that the building was fortified, and was most likely only a lairds house. The Town Clerk's office is at NH 7982 8972.
Visited by OS (A A) 31 March 1971.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7982 8972 (46m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14618 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.