MHG11757 - The Mound Causeway
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAUSEWAY (Built, 19th Century - 1813 AD to 1816 AD (between))
- None recorded
NH79NE 44 768 977 to 775 982
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 45, 50-53, 85) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
For adjacent Mound Station (NH 7752 9835), see NH79NE45.
(Location cited as NH 769 978 to 774 982). The Mound, built 1814-16 by engineer Thomas Telford. An embankment with a bridge at northern end, spanning mouth of Loch Fleet. The bridge was originally of 4-arch form but had 2 further arches added by Joseph Mitchell in 1837. The arches are fitted with non-return flap valves to prevent sea water penetrating to Loch Fleet.
J R Hume 1977.
This earthern mound or dyke was built by Telford to prevent seawater flooding of low-lying land watered by rivers Carnaig and Fleet. Its construction severely tested builders and was superintended by John Mitchell, Telford's resident deputy in the Highlands.
The bridge is most northerly section of mound, and is overshadowed by new A9 bridge. It is both beautiful and unusual in form, incorporating non-return valves in form of wooden flaps. Small stone buildings on each side house winding-gear to raise some of flaps so as to allow passage of fish. The posts upstream of bridge are intended to protect it against floating debris and ice-floes.The Dornoch Light Railway crossed the bridge between 1900 and 1960.
G Nelson 1990.
This causeway carried the Dornoch Light Railway and A9 public road over the estuary of the River Fleet (and its tributary the Carnaig) near the inner end of Loch Fleet, between the parishes of Golspie and Dornoch.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 May 1998.
Grid reference marks centre of causeway. Runs from 7753 9820 (in Golspie parish) to 7685 9770 (in Dornoch parish).
The causeway constructed by Telford is still in use as the A9 crossing at the W end of Loch Fleet.
The Mound. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11509.
Butt, J, 1967, The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 314 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2008.
Sinclair B Calder, 1974, The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900) (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG364.
Hume, J R, 1977, The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands, 313 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2332.
Minchinton, W, 1984, A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain, 169 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2521.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 56, No. 19; illust (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
Nelson, G, 1990, Highland Bridges, 159-60 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2572.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): The Mound.. Colour Slide. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 314.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 56, No. 19; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 313.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 159-60.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sinclair B Calder. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7721 9794 (673m by 546m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14787 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.