MHG45526 - Mound Bridge, Loch Fleet
1815-18 Thomas Telford bridge with later alterations by Joseph Mitchell, 1837.
Type and Period (4)
- ARCH BRIDGE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1818 AD (between))
- ARCH BRIDGE (Extended, 19th Century - 1837 AD to 1837 AD)
- SLUICE GATE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1837 AD (between))
- WINCH HOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1815 AD to 1837 AD (between))
Thomas Telford-designed "stagecoach" bridge which has a series of sluice gates to prevent seawater getting upstream into the Mound aldergrove swamps. This area included land reclaimed by a 1,000 yd embankment, which became known as The Mound, constructed by Sutherland Estates in 1816 to carry the new Parlimentary road over Loch Fleet.
(Press & Journal, 15/01/02)
Information provided by J Aitken: 16/01/02
The pent up waters of Loch Fleet are drained by an impressive series of sluice gates (four in 1816, increased to six in 1837 by Joseph Mitchell) in the six-span bridge. Each arch is fitted with a wooden non-returnable flap valve which prevents sea water from flowing up-river while allowing fresh water to drain away. A system of chains and pulleys operate the sluices, the winding gear housed in small stone huts each side of the bridge <1>.
Stone built bridge with 12 sluice gates, two below each arch of bridge. The arches have a timber panel cover each on east side of Telford’s bridge. A series of metal winches extend out from the bridge above each sluice gate. Two winch buildings at either side of bridge consist of small single storey buildings with a slanted corrugated iron roof. <2>
Several pictures of the Mound sluice gates and components are pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library (seach Nos. 10363-10367 at the link below). The winch for operating the sluice gates was repositioned outside the Historylinks Museum in 2004. <3>
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. Pg 53.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, E. 1995. Sutherland: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paper (Original).
- <2> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. Nos. 10363-10367.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7754 9821 (27m by 24m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (5)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=10_12 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7022 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/index.asp (Link to online Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
- http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=202463 (Information on architect and engineer Joseph Mitchell)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14787 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.