MHG11762 - Long cairn, Creag an Amalaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
(NH 7566 9730) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Some 1/2 mile SE of Achinael, just to W of wire fence and above road, is a large cairn, sub-oval in form, with its longest axis E to W. It measures 70ft in length, 43ft across at E end and 26ft at W. About 19ft from E it expands to 53ft, forming 'lugs' on either side about 11ft across. This peculiarity seems quite distinct on N side, but partial demolition of cairn renders it less obvious on S. At W end it is only a foot or two in height, and it has risen towards E, but it has been considerably dilapidated in that direction, it is impossible to say where it attained its greatest elevation. At its highest it is about 6ft high. No chamber or cist has been exposed.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1972, visited 1967.
The cairn consists of bare stone rubble and is generally as described above. The 'lugs' mentioned are not clearly defined features. Visited by OS (R L) 4 April 1964.
No change to the previous field report.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 10 December 1980.
Kinnes 1992 cites this as one of four non-Megalithic long barrows in the Highlands, all in SE Sutherland. One near Lairg (MHG11986) is probably a modern spoil heap. None have been excavated. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 47, No. 133.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 581, SUT 61; plan.
- <1> Text/Publication: Kinnes, I. A. 1992. Non-Megalithic Long Barrows and Allied Structures in the British Neolithic. British Museum Occasional Paper No. 52: London. British Musuem. Pp. 18, 160.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7567 9730 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1782 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1782 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14782 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.