MHG11763 - Skelbo Farmsteading
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH79NE0059 Straw Barn
NH79SE0050 Threshing Barn
NH79SE0051 Cart Sheds
NH79SE0052 Cattle Court
NH79NE 39 7902 9502.
See NH79SE 24 for details of threshing machine and grain conveyor.
NH79NE 39.00 7902 9502
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, pp. 189, 189a) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
This is a large 'E'-shaped range with a projecting water-powered threshing barn to the W. There is a covered cattle court in each of the yards. The cattle courts are surrounded by a paved way and an impressive seven-gable E facing facade.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD), July 1994; see NMRS MS 744/119.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wade Martins, S. 1997. ''A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790 - 1890'', Review of Scottish Culture, Vol 10, 1996-7, pp 33-54. p 43, 48.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7896 9501 (184m by 140m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Byre (Building) (MHG21180)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Cart Sheds (Building) (MHG21064)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Cattle Court (Monument) (MHG21066)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Granary (Building) (MHG21072)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Stable (Building) (MHG21089)
- Parent of: Skelbo Farm, Straw Barn (Building) (MHG21074)
- Parent of: Threshing Barn, Skelbo Farm (Building) (MHG21061)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB596 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14781 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.