MHG11780 - Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Odhar
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH79NE 24 7671 9673.
(NH 7671 9673) Chambered Cairn (NR) Human Remains found AD. 1868 (NAT) OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Cnoc Odhar: Orkney-Cromarty, round, polygonal chamber. A severely robbed cairn now having a diameter of nearly 90ft though cairn material seems to have spread beyond its original limits on NE. An original diameter of 70ft to 80ft seems likely. Near the centre is a group of six upright slabs representing a polygonal chamber. To S are two obliquely set stones with inner ends pointing into chamber,which may be portal stones, and immediately to S of these is a flat slab 5ft 6ins long which may be a passage lintel. RCAHMS (1911) was inclined to regard the remains as those of a bipartite chamber, but his account is difficult to interpret with regard to main stones now to be seen. RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
Generally as described above, outer limits of the cairn now measures 20m NW-SE by 20m transversely, giving an almost square appearance. The six remaining stones of the chamber are still intact, but three other stones shown on plan to SW do not seem to form any particular pattern as none of them are earth-fast. It seems doubtful if they were portal or lintel stones.
Visited by OS (R B) 7 February 1966.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 10 December 1980.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 46-7, No. 132.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ch. Cairn, Cnoc Odhar, Detail of Chamber. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ch. Cairn, Cnoc Odhar, Edge of robbed area. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ch. Cairn, Cnoc Odhar, chamber area from rear. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Ch. Cairn, Cnoc Odhar, gen. view from NW. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7671 9673 (22m by 23m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14765 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.