MHG11787 - Mound Junction
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
(A: NH 7720 9987; B: NH 7726 9987) Hut Circles (NR)
(Centred NH 771 998) Cairns (NR) OS 6" map, (1960)
Two hut circles with mounds lying both nearby and along the face of the hill to the N. Hut 'A' is bounded by a bank c. 3 1/2' thick widening to 8' on either side of the entrance in the S. It is faced internally with large flat stones; there is a marked absence of stones in the outer circumference and in the centre of the bank. The interior is subdivided into three main compartments by two walls. Hut 'B' is dilapidated.
To the E of a mound lying in a hollow above the hut circles is an oval setting of stones measuring 6'10" by 3'8" internally with three large stones in the centre. It looks more like a grave than a cairn. The remains of a croft are nearby.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
'A' is laid on the slope, and is visible as a single line of stones set on edge, measuring 12.0m in diameter, with no trace of an outer face or wall core to support its classification as a double-walled hut. A gap in the S may indicate an entrance. The walls dividing the interior are overgrown, but remain as described and planned by the RCAHMS (1911). This may be a denuded hut used for a secondary purpose, but the lack of scarping and wall material suggest that it is an enclosure, possibly associated with 'B'.
'B', built up on a SE-facing slope is mutilated and measures c. 8.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall spread to c. 1.5m in the NW, and to c. 3.0m on the lower side where it includes a considerable build-up. A gap, 3.0m wide, in the S may indicate the entrance. Abutting on to the E wall at a lower level is a platform measuring c. 5.0m N-S by c. 4.0m. In the vicinity are a number of scattered stone clearance heaps (noted as mounts by RCAHMS) probably from contemporary cultivation plots, but there is no trace of the "oval setting of stones" mentioned by RCAHMS. Visited by OS (N K B) 25 November 1969.
(NH 772 998) Hut Circles and Field System (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
The two hut circles and minor field system are generally as described above. The wall of 'A' is seen to be denuded with only slight remains of core material surviving rather than a single line of stones as stated by previous OS field investigator.
Visited by OS (J B) 27 May 1981.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 95, No. 279; plan fig. 32 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7718 9988 (348m by 250m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1822 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1822 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14758 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.