MHG11788 - Tortoise (Oval) Brooch, urn; Ospisdale House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CREMATION? (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
NH78NW 10 7185 8968.
Norse Tortoise Brooch found 1830 (NAT) OS 1:10,000 (1973)
The Ospisdale Brooch was found in 1830 during the making of a farm road about 300 yards NE of Clach a' Charra (NH78NW 1).
Name Book 1874; Information contained in letter from J M Joass to OS, 8 April 1874.
The brooch is in the possession of Mrs Gilchrist, Ospisdale House.
J Anderson 1875.
The brooch, a grave find, was in the possession of Captain and Mrs Lyon, Ospisdale House, in 1925. The outer shell is damaged and inner shell has been flattened by a powerful blow from above. It was found with the remains of an urn, possibly a steatite vessel, which was subsequently lost.
S Grieg 1940.
The brooch purchased for NMAS 1933 (IL337).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933.
The association of fragment of steatite bowl with brooch is uncertain. The steatite fragment was recently presented to Perth Museum. (EK 43).
A O Curle, M Olsen and H Shetelig 1954.
No further information. Visited by OS (W D J) 5 June 1963.
Black and white photographs of the oval brooch are pictured on the Dornoch Historylinks Image Library website (Nos. 5702-5703). See links below. <1>
The vessel and the oval brooch are on loan from the NMS (Acc. Nos. EK 43, IL 377) to Historylinks. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1875. 'Notes on the relics of the Viking period of the Northmen in Scotland, illustrated by specimens in the museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1872-4, p.536-94. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 536-94. 554.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grieg, S. 1940. Viking antiquities in Scotland. 9-10, 17-18; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, Olsen and Shetelig, A O, M and H. 1954. Civilisation of the Viking settlers in relation to their old and new countries. 238-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 122.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1933. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7,. 20.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dornoch Historylinks. Dornoch Historylinks Image Library. Nos. 5702, 5703.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Historylinks Museum. EK 43, IL 277.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7184 8967 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BROOCH (Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- VESSEL (Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-099-751-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/picture/number5702.asp (Link to onine Dornoch Historylinks Image Library)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14643 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.