MHG11788 - Tortoise Brooch, urn; Ospisdale House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CREMATION (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH78NW 10 7185 8968.
Norse Tortoise Brooch found 1830 (NAT) OS 1:10,000 (1973)
The Ospisdale Brooch was found in 1830 during the making of a farm road about 300 yards NE of Clach a' Charra (NH78NW 1).
Name Book 1874; Information contained in letter from J M Joass to OS, 8 April 1874.
The brooch is in the possession of Mrs Gilchrist, Ospisdale House.
J Anderson 1875.
The brooch, a grave find, was in the possession of Captain and Mrs Lyon, Ospisdale House, in 1925. The outer shell is damaged and inner shell has been flattened by a powerful blow from above. It was found with the remains of an urn, possibly a steatite vessel, which was subsequently lost.
S Grieg 1940.
The brooch purchased for NMAS 1933 (IL337).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1933.
The association of fragment of steatite bowl with brooch is uncertain. The steatite fragment was recently presented to Perth Museum. (EK 43).
A O Curle, M Olsen and H Shetelig 1954.
No further information. Visited by OS (W D J) 5 June 1963.
URN MATERIAL IS STEATITE
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 6, 122 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.
Anderson, J, 1875, 'Notes on the relics of the Viking period of the Northmen in Scotland, illustrated by specimens in the museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1872-4, p.536-94, 554 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1225.
PSAS, 1933, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,, 20 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG555.
Grieg, S, 1940, Viking antiquities in Scotland, 9-10, 17-18; illust (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2295.
Curle, Olsen and Shetelig, A O, M and H, 1954, Civilisation of the Viking settlers in relation to their old and new countries, 238-9 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3189.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1875. 'Notes on the relics of the Viking period of the Northmen in Scotland, illustrated by specimens in the museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1872-4, p.536-94. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 536-94. 554.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grieg, S. 1940. Viking antiquities in Scotland. 9-10, 17-18; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curle, Olsen and Shetelig, A O, M and H. 1954. Civilisation of the Viking settlers in relation to their old and new countries. 238-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 122.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1933. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 67 1932-3, p.9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7, 312-17, 341-2,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-23, 62-9, 161-4, 224-7,. 20.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7184 8967 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BROOCH (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14643 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.