MHG11792 - St Barr's Church, Dornoch

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

(NH 7976 8969) The parish church of St Barr or Finbarr mentioned in 1223 stood in eastern part of present Cathedral yard, site being commemorated in name Templebar. It is not known if church survived as parish church after building of Cathedral in early 13th century, but fact that the building was not removed until early 17th century suggests that it may have done. About this time Cathedral was partially restored to serve as parish church. The graveyard was known until at least 16th century as St. Finbarr's.
About 1926 foundations were uncovered during grave-digging, but these may have belonged to Tolbooth which stood on or very near the site from 1730 - 1818.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; C D Bentinck 1926.

No trace. The foundations observed about 1926 are locally believed to have been those of the church, at approx. the grid reference given. Visited by OS (A A) 31 March 1971.

ARCHITECT: Alexander Ross 1912

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7978 8969 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH78NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DORNOCH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.