MHG11796 - Chambered Cairn, Clashmore
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
(NH 7439 8967) Standing Stones (NR)
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Clashmore: Round cairn of Orkney-Cromarty type with polygonal chamber. The cairn has almost been entirely removed, now a low, irregular grass-grown mound partly overgrown with broom. An edge can be traced round most of it which probably represents more or less its original extent, 60ft diameter. At centre stand 3 particularly massive stones, apparently head stone and side slabs of chamber orientated NW-SE with entrance at latter end. RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
The remains of this chambered cairn as described above.The mutilated mound remaining measures about 20m N-S by c16m transversely, with max height of c1.2m. The largest of 3 remaining chamber stones, headstone, measures 1.5m by 0.7m and is 2m high. Published survey (1:2500) revised.
Visited by OS (W D J) 5 June 1963.
(NH 7439 8967) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 18 September 1980.
Douglas Scott advises that a survey of this cairn was undertaken on 17th February 2011, which suggests that its south east entrance was aligned towards the midwinter sunrise. <1>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 49-50, No. 142 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 313, SUT 19; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<1> Scott, D, 2010-11, Photographs and information from Douglas Scott (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25031.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 49-50, No. 142.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 313, SUT 19; plan.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7438 8968 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14664 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.