MHG11808 - Skibo Castle, Bishop's Well
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Bishop's Well marked on 1st ed OS as circular feature at corrected GR above. (see NH78NW0017 for St Mary's Well) - HAW 12/2002
NH78NW 4 7351 8895.
Bishop's Well (NR) OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
Bishop's Well: Applies to well situated in field of pasture situated about 7 chains SW of Skibo Castle. All efforts to obtain any information regarding the antiquity or derivation of the name have been unsuccessful. It is probably so called from the fact of Skibo Castle having been the summer residence of the Bishop of Sutherland and Caithness. Name Book 1873.
This well is now walled in. Its position is indicated by a low stone arch. No other information was found regarding it.
Visited by OS (W D J) 6 June 1963.
No change, no further information. Visited by OS (NKB) 5 12 1980.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7351 8896 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14674 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.