MHG11817 - The Mound
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH79NE 13 7785 9820.
(NH 7785 9820) Hut Circle (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
A hut circle, 35ft in diameter within its 6ft thick bank, which expands to 10ft thick on either side of the entrance in the SE. The breadth of the entrance is not obtainable.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909. <1>
Generally as described, this hut is so obscured by gorse and young fir trees as to be immeasurable.
Visited by OS (R D L) 11 April 1964.
Dense vegetation renders the site inaccessible.
Visited by OS (N K B) 25 November 1978.
Visited by OS (J B) 26 May 1981.
Information from a participant in a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH, in 2010 that the trees in this area have now been felled, and the site is now accessible. However, the area has been replanted. A photograph was submitted to the HER. <2>, <3>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 93, No. 273.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: ARCH and Invidual Participants. 08/2010. Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie. Yes. Digital. Penny Paterson.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Penny Paterson.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7784 9820 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14753 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.