MHG1183 - Field clearance, Latheronwheel
Early modern stone clearance, possibly surrounded by a stony bank.
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) CAIRNFIELD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD? to 2100 AD?)
- None recorded
ND13SE 56 1845 3181.
A stone scatter covering an area 10 by 8m and comprising a roughly circular, largely grass-covered, stony bank surrounding three stone clusters. <1><2>
Early-modern stone clearance. No bank particularly noted.
Visited by OS 15 October 1982.
Visible from the road although land now under pasture. Dumping of stones along the edge of the hill scarp. <3>
- <1> Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 275.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 275.
- <3> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2002.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 18449 31809 (20m by 20m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8176 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.