MHG11835 - Standing Stone, Dornoch Manse
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
(NH 7960 8950) At the Manse of Dornoch is a triangular slab of micaceous schist, measuring 12" long by 9 1/2" across the base, showing five well-defined cup marks and portions of other three at the broken edge of the stone. Towards the apex of the triangle is a single cup mark, 1 1/8" diameter, with another below it 2 1/4" diameter by 1/2" deep, and near the centre of the triangle a row of three and another row parallel to the last at the base.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
It is recalled locally that this stone stood at front door of the manse, but it was lost some years ago and its present whereabouts is unknown. Visited by OS (A A) 31 March 1971.
Manse is now local Council Buildings, no obvious sign of stone - HAW 11/2002
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 51, No. 147 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7959 8950 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14635 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.