MHG11839 - Standing stone, Drumdivan
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- CUP MARKED STONE? (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
NH78NE 7 7808 8990.
Standing Stone (NR) OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
In Camore Wood, about 170 yards SE of E end of Loch-an-treel, is a standing stone - a large monolith of sandstone, roughly quadrangular at base, tapering to a point at its upper extremity. It is 8' 9" in height above ground, 2' 5" across W face at base, and 1' 10" across N. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909. <1>
A standing stone, as described by RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (A A) 31 March 1971.
Ploughed right to v edge of 5m exclusion zone - 12/2003
Dornoch Heritage Soc Site 1
Photographs of this stone were submitted to the HER in November 2010. D Scott reports that there are cup marks at the base of the stone, but these are not evident on photographs. <2>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 51, No. 148.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7806 8990 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1786 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1786 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14639 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.