MHG1184 - Remains of lighthouse, Latheronwheel
A small look-out or lighthouse, disused by 1871.
Type and Period (2)
- LIGHTHOUSE (In use, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (between))
- (Alternate Type) LOOKOUT (In use, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1871 AD (between))
- None recorded
Light house. A small building overlooking the harbour, disused by 1871. Name Book 1871; OS 6" map, Caithness, 1st ed., (1871) <1><2>
A modern look-out tower, five-sided and mostly ruinous but with one wall standing to a height of about 2m. It measures 7.3m by 5.5m in maximum dimensions, with walls 0.6m thick. <3>-<5>
J Humphries 1968; C Batey 1982.
ND 1904 3205. Irregular six-sided structure sides vary between 1.9m to 4.9m in length - its 0.7m thick wall of dressed blocks reduced to the base courses except for the most north-easterly angle where it stands 2.6m high. Stone debris fills the interior and litters the surrounding area.
Visited by OS 15 October 1982.
Lighthouse stands on the S side of the inlet, on natural promontory previously used as a fort. View photo in ND13SE0055. <6>
Small ruined wall stands to several metres, visible from harbour & inland side, photo. <7>
<1> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 6, 267 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-3, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72) (Image/Map). SHG23773.
<3> Humphries, J, 1968, A history of Latheron district, 15 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2780.
<4> Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, No. 260 (Text/Report). SHG1960.
<5> Batey, C E, 1984, Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale, LAT 260 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG1958.
<6> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 11/2002 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
<7> White, H, Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist, 08/2003 (Verbal Communication). SHG23635.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 267.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Humphries, J. 1968. A history of Latheron district. 15.
- <4> Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 260.
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). LAT 260.
- <6> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2002.
- <7> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 08/2003.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 19042 32057 (9m by 7m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8177 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.