MHG1187 - Broch, Latheronwheel Mains

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)

About a third of a mile W of Latheronwheel House rises a green mound, centre of which contains the ruins of a broch. Over all, the tower measures some 66ft in diameter and 6-8ft in height, while a depression on the summit, indicating the extent of the court, measures 27ft in diameter. On the N and W sides are still visible the remains of an encircling wall about 12ft out from the apparent base of the broch crowning the scarp of the mound, which is about 6ft in height.
RCAHMS 1911.

A turf-covered broch mound, 21.0m in diameter, surrounded by outbuildings and a curtain wall. The outer wall-face of the broch is exposed on the W side.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 14 March 1968.

No change. There is no tangible evidence of outbuildings, nor any exposed section of the outer face of the broch. Visited by OS (J M) 14 October 1982.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 57, No. 211 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1762 3250 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND13SE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.