MHG11879 - Broch, Achness House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Alternate Type) HENGE? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
See also NC40SE0003. There may be some confusion between these two adjacent brochs.
John Wood 1-12-2003
NC40SE 2 4686 0273.
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
The heavily robbed remains of a broch which appears to have measured about 22m externally and about 9m internally but now takes the form of an almost featureless mound. The external lower course was visible in 1909 on N and SE, but by 1963, only four stones on east remained in situ. Otherwise the wall was traceable only as a grass-covered stony mound 0.3m in maximum height internally with the odd large stone being visible. The inner wall face was not identifiable but a slight circular depression indicated the court area. The entrance had probably been in SE. Associated walling could be traced for about 20m along top of the natural slopes at a distance varying from 4m to 6m to W of broch.
Re-surveyed at 1:10 560.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (R D L) 25 May 1963.
No change to previous field report of 25 May 1963.
Visited by OS (J B) 9 September 1976.
Douglas Scott notes the possiblity that this site is in fact a henge. <1>
Broch, Achness house N. Invercassley (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG9598.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 19, No. 51 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<1> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, Douglas Scott, 04/07/2011 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 19, No. 51.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Broch, Achness house N. Invercassley. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. Douglas Scott, 04/07/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4685 0273 (21m by 19m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4857 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.