MHG11887 - Cladh a' Chnocain
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Cladh a Chnocain (NAT)
OS 6"map, (1967)
'Northern Times' article titled 'Burial Ground Nuisance', dated 11th November 1955. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 14/01/03
'Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. First published 1989, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1999.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
An old burial ground containing a pre-medieval cross slab and presumably the site of the 'kirk' mentioned by Pont as existing at Knockan about 1600. The slab of schist, covers a modern grave in the NW corner of the burial ground and measures 4' by 1'7". The incised cross, 3' long, is of the plain, long-shafted, Celtic type with expanded terminals and hollowed 'armpits'.
W Macfarlane 1906; RCAHMS 1911.
There is no trace and no local knowledge of a church or chapel within Cladh a ' Chnocain (name verified), which is still in use.
The dressed cross slab as described by RCAHMS (RCAHMS 1911) lies loose on the grave of John Thomson (died 1887), the cross being on the underside.
Surveyed at 1:10 000.
Visited by OS (J B) 22 September 1976.
The burial ground is shown as an enclosure on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet ci) and is similarly depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1990).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 27 November 1995
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A.S.Cowper & I.Ross. 1989. Sutherland Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 2, 546, 569.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 34, No. 93.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4393 0150 (25m by 39m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4865 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.