MHG11922 - Broch, Dun Neachdie


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC45NW 7 44 58.

Broch: "On an eminence of west side of the bay (Camus an Duin) is a ruin called Dun Neachdie or Nechtan, but now known as 'The Dun'." H Morrison 1883.

There would appear to be some doubt regarding the identity of this broch or dun. The island of Ard Neackie (? Neachdie, at NC 446 597, which has been extensively quarried for limestone, was perambulated without result: the occupant at Heilam, who has lived on the island all his life was unaware of the existence of a broch there. The description in H Morrison (1883) is misleading: there is no W side to Camus an Duin.
It is therefore possible that the reference could apply to the broch at Kempie (NC45NW 1).
Visited by OS (A C) 3 June 1959.

No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (N K B) 8 November 1978.

Dubious possible broch in Durness, Sutherland; the name may mean “Nechtan’s dun” (Nechtan was a Pictish king) [1]. The site was described in 1883 [2] but there is nothing at the most plausible place name, the island of Ard Neackie. That writer may have been thinking of the broch at Kempie (NC45 1).
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 45 NW 7: 2. Morrison 1883, 106. <1>

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NC 4399 5799 (70m by 70m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC45NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish DURNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.