MHG11943 - Broch, Ach an Duin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NC46SE 1.01 4601 6053 Building
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 6"map, (1961)
The heavily robbed remains of broch, partially overlain by a ruined cottage, on end of a rocky ridge. It has measured 26ft in diameter within a wall 11ft thick. The entrance is from N, along ridge, and has an almost intact guard-chamber, 8ft long, on right. No details of the passage are visible, but 24ft to SE the top of another chamber, filled with debris, is exposed.
RCAHMS 1911; J Horsburgh 1870.
The broch is very dilapidated, 15m across with walls 3.7m wide. The guard chamber is still as described by the RCAHMS, but second chamber was not located.
Visited by OS (W D J) 21 April 1960.
The remains of the broch are as described and illustrated by the previous authorities; remains of mural cell, choked with debris, are visible in S quadrant. Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 November 1978.
(NC 4601 6053) Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 6"map, (1961)
NW SUT Local Plan, May 1987: P23, 2.36.
J Aitken :11/06/01.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG3725.
Horsburgh, J, 1870, 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9, 278 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1182.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 54, No. 156 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 278.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 54, No. 156.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4601 6053 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:3853 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3853 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4957 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.