MHG11951 - Heilam
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
NC46SE 3 458 603.
(A: NC 4590 6036; B: NC 4588 6025) Hut Circles (NR)
OS 6"map, (1961)
'A' is a hut circle, noted by the RCAHMS (RCAHMS 1911) , and consisting of a stone bank 10.3m in diameter, 0.3m high and spread to a width of 1.4m. The entrance, 1.5m wide, is on the NE and has slight remains of an out-turned bank on the S side.
'B', unnoted by the RCAHMS, is a hut circle consisting of an earth-and-stone bank 11m in diameter and 0.4m high, spread to a width of 2m. The entrance, in the E, is 1.5m wide and has a large flanking stone on the N side.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (W D J) 21 April 1960.
At NC 458 603, on gently sloping ground S of Loch Ach 'an Lochaidh, are two hut circles. A and B are as described above. Areas around the huts appear to have been cleared of stones, and there are some scattered clearance heaps which are probably contemporary, but there is later land-use indicated by a sinuous field wall. No cultivation plots are visible.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 28 November 1978.
NC 458602 A hut, 12m in diameter, in poor condition.
NC 459602 A hut, 8m in diameter, in good condition; both additional to those already noted by OS.
Surveyed at 1:1000 K Sabine 1980.
NW SUT Local Plan, May 1987: P23/2.36.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 55, No. 161.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Sabine, K. 1980. 'Durness p, hut circles', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1980, p.19. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 19. 19.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 4587 6029 (103m by 240m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3854 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3855 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4965 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.