MHG11965 - St. Maelrubha's Church, Lairg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
1st ed OS 25" shows Church (site of) running along N side of the then churchyard a large irregular rectangular shape. A line of tress through the graveyard to the western side suggests that had already been extended to W by this stage. Tomb (rectangular marked on E side wall and tomb (circular) in the middle to south & Holy Water Font (unlocated) within graveyard - HAW 8/2004
NC50NE0096 Burial ground and Mackay memorial
NC50NE 11 5806 0726.
Church (NAT) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Sutherlandshire, 2nd ed., (1908)
Site of parish church dedicated to St Maelrubha and on record in early 13th century. The last church to stand on site was built 1794, and was in use until 1844 when a new church was built at NC 583 065. A font in the form of a granite block stood at NC 5806 0724 in 1873. (See also NC50NE 15).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1873; OS 6" map, Sutherlandshire, 1st ed., (1873)
The graveyard has now been extended to north and east. Only a slight mound amid the headstones indicates site of church. The font could not be found.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (W D J) 25 June 1963.
At NC 5807 0726 within the graveyard is a squared-off block of mortared masonry, into which has been inserted two ornamented grave slabs dated 1742 and 1765 respectively. The masonry measures 2.3m long, 1.8m high and 0.5m thick. According to the gravedigger this is the remains of N wall of church but no architectural features survive to verify this, and it may have been built specifically to accommodate the grave slabs. The grave-digger states that the footings of E wall of church were visible until graveyard was extended. All of these features occur close to site published on OS 6"map, 1st ed., (1908). There is no trace and no local knowledge of the granite font. The graveyard is still in use.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 9 August 1976.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 31, 25 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3363.
OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 697-700 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5805 0726 (22m by 14m)|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:8019 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8019 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4979 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.