MHG11968 - Crannogs, Little Loch Shin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CRANNOG (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC50NE 79 5806.
RCAHMS (1911) suggests that four islands on Loch Shin (NC 52 12) are possibly artificial and their appearance supports this suggestion. Gordon, in 1630, wrote, 'In sundrie of these laikes ther ar ilands with habitations, as in Loch Shin ... There are four islands in Loch Shin ... all pleasant dwellings in summer' (NC50NE 15 may be one of these).
R Gordon 1813; RCAHMS 1911; F O Blundell 1913.
The level of Loch Shin has been raised about 10.m, therefore any crannog here would be submerged. However Little Loch Shin (located at NC 58 06) is at more or less the original level; the island illustrated by Blundell (1913) is in fact Eilean a'Chairn a probable crannog at NC 5769 0685 (See NC50NE 15). Of the other two islets in Little Loch Shin at NC 5813 0633 and NC 581 055, both appear natural.
Visited by OS (N K B) 3 September 1976.
Weber, H (ed), 1813, Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2273.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 160, No. 466 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Blundell, F O, 1913, 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302, 281-82 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG829.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 160, No. 466.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Blundell, F O. 1913. 'Further notes on the artificial islands in the Highland area', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 47 1912-13, p.257-302. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 257-302. 281-82.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5800 0600 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5054 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.