MHG11971 - Druim Baile Fuir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/03/03
NC50SE 1 560 030.
Some 180 yards SW of cairn (NC50SE 23), is a hut circle, with the entrance in SE, measuring internally 31 x 37ft. The faces of the enclosing bank are well marked with boulders, laid end to end, and the bank appears to have been from 8 to 10ft across.
About 100 yards SE of the hut are three mounds, 18 to 20ft in diameter, and 2 to 3ft high.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
The hut circle and mounds could not be located in an area ploughed and re-afforested; though the hut may be NC50SE 5, which could not, however, be certainly identified with this site.
Visited by OS (R D L) 26 June 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 31 August 1976.
Re-scheduled by Historic Scotland, 11/03/02.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aikten : 16/05/02.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 142-3, No. 411 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland, 2008, Druim Baile Fiur, Stone Circle, Cairns and Hut Circles 1200 m NW of Achany (Text/Report/Management Plan). SHG23379.
- --- Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Druim Baile Fiur, Stone Circle, Cairns and Hut Circles 1200 m NW of Achany. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 142-3, No. 411.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5599 0300 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1784 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1784 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5070 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.