MHG11979 - Hut circle, Ord Place
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Hut circle recorded by pupils of Lairg school 10/2004
NC50NE 55 5773 0588.
Hut Circle (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
A hut circle of the usual type measuring 35ft by 37ft. There is a mound 50ft to the SW - one of a number of field clearance heaps.
RCAHMS 1911; Visited by OS (W D J) 19 June 1963. <1>
This stone-walled hut lies within a small but well- preserved field system, occupying a dry shelf bounded by marshy ground, on the lower NE slopes of The Ord. The hut, of massive construction similar to Kilphedir-type (NC91NE 25), measures 9m internal diameter within a tumbled wall obscured by peat, which is spread to 3m, widening to 5m at the clubbed entrance in SE arc. The field system comprises several cultivation plots, 25m by 15m average size, bounded by clearance heaps and lynchets.
Re-surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 July 1976.
At the northern end of the field system at NC 5777 0597 is a further hut circle. The hut, situated on a small rise, measures 6.5m in internal diameter. Only the E half of the wall survives continuously, spread to 1.5m wide and 0.2m high. A small number of loose stones on the W side indicate the course of the wall here. The position of the entrance is not visible.
Both hut circles surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS 13 3 1979.
The hut lies on a dry shelf bounded by marshy ground, on the lower NE slopes of The Ord. It measures 8m internal diameter within walls spread to 3m, widening to 5m at the entrance in SE arc. <2>
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 140, No. 401 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<2> Dalland, M, 05/2010, A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland, Site HA3.2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24798.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 140, No. 401.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA3.2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5775 0589 (101m by 146m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5027 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.