MHG11981 - Cairn, The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
(NC 5726 0555) Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
A circular, grass-covered stony mound or cairn (RCAHMS 1911) 9m in diameter and 0.9m high. A slight excavation has been made in the top but no cist nor chamber is exposed. Although this is probably a cairn, there is the possibility that it is simply a field clearance heap.
RCAHMS 1911; Visited by OS (W D J) 19 June 1963. <1>
This mound adjacent to an area of run-rig is similar in content to several field clearance heaps in the vicinity, but two factors suggest that it is a small round cairn. Firstly it is situated on a prominent false crest, and secondly it is bounded by about twelve stones up to 0.3m high, some contiguous, which contain the stony mound some 5.0m in diameter and 0.4m high. These stones do not describe a perfect arc as a cairn kerb, but some may be displaced.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 July 1976.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (J B) 15 March 1979.
GR corrected to above - HAW 8/2004 <2>
Recorded during topographic survey carried out in Spring 2010. A circular, grass-covered cairn 9.5m in diameter and 0.9m high. There is a number of stones along the edge of the cairn that may be remains of an original stone kerb around the cairn. There is a small rectangular depression at the top 0.5m by 1m and 0.2m deep, probably the result of a small excavation. The cairn is situated in a small cairn field but differs from the other cairns by its shape and position. <3>
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 140, No. 403 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<2> AP : The Ord North. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13390.
<3> Dalland, M, 05/2010, A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland, Site HA10.7 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24798.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 140, No. 403.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): AP : The Ord North.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA10.7.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5726 0557 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4982 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.