MHG11985 - The Ord Round Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC50NE 19 5742 0554.
(NC 5738 0551) Cairn (NR).
OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
A well built, round cairn about 28ft in diameter and 3ft 6ins high, the whole circumference is carefully defined by large, contiguous stones set point upwards and flat face outwards. A slight depression, 7ft long by 4ft 6ins by 10ins deep, runs N-S on the summit.
RCAHMS 1911; Visited by OS (W D J) 20 June 1963. <1>
This cairn at NC 5742 0554 is as described above.
Re-surveyed at 1:10 000
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 July 1976.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 15 March 1979.
Management agreement for this site approved in 2008. <2>
Noted during topographic survey across this area. A well preserved grass-covered round cairn 8.5m in diameter and 1m high. The edge of the cairn is defined by large, contiguous stones set point upwards and flat face outwards. There is a slight depression, 2m long by 1.5m by 0.25m deep at the top of the cairn. <3>
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 154, No. 445 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<2> Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland, 2008, The Ord, cairns, chambered cairns, hut circles & field system (Text/Report/Management Plan). SHG23375.
<3> Dalland, M, 05/2010, A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland, Site HA10.4 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24798.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 154, No. 445.
- <2> Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. The Ord, cairns, chambered cairns, hut circles & field system. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dalland, M. 05/2010. A Topographic Archaeological Survey of the Ord Prehistoric Landscape: Lairg, North Highland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site HA10.4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5742 0553 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4987 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.