MHG11986 - Mounds, Nr Sub station, Lairg Muir
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MOUND (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Former Type) CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
Recorded in survey by Dr Thomas C. Welsh, Sept. 1998. <1>
See assoc. docs.
NC50NE 2 5871 0714.
(NC 5871 0714) (OS 6" map, annontated by T C Welsh) A possible long cairn comprising a low, grassy mound of stones about 1m high, 57m long and 15m wide at the SW end tapering gradually towards NE. What may be a short cist 0.9m by 1m lies 6m in from SW end. <2>
See assoc. docs. File for SMR NH80NE0045.
The long mound described by Welsh is at NC 5764 0708; there is a mound of similar size and shape at NC 5772 0705. They occur on a SE facing moorland slope close to to an electricity sub-station built within the last twenty years, and though local verification cannot be obtained, they are almost certainly dumps from the excavations for the sub-station. The 'mounds' recent origin is suggested by the covering of turf and rank grass in an area of heather; where the content is exposed, it is of light brown sub-soil and boulders, the latter unweathered. The supposed cist noted by Welsh is a fortuitous arrangement of boulders. Visited by OS (N K B) 9 August 1976.
Kinnes 1992 cites this as one of four non-Megalithic long barrows in the Highlands, all in SE Sutherland. None have been excavated. He does not reference the 1976 OS visit and its interpretation as a modern spoil heap. <3>
- <1> SHG2927 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Welsh, Dr TC. 09/1998. The Invisible Site Finder: A personal view of the role of interpretive survey in archaeology, based on thirty years experience as an independent site-finder, and a comment on the low visibility imposed by restricted access to publication. Unaffiliated. . Pp. 50.
- <2> SHG1021 Text/Publication/Article: Welsh, T C. 1973. 'Lairg Muir, possible long cairn, enclosures', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1973, p.55. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 55. Pp. 55.
- <3> SHG28003 Text/Publication: Kinnes, I. A. 1992. Non-Megalithic Long Barrows and Allied Structures in the British Neolithic. British Museum Occasional Paper No. 52: London. British Musuem. Pp 18, 160.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5871 0714 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4988 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.