MHG11995 - Broomhill
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Unknown date)
- None recorded
NC50NE 31 5894 0679.
(NC 5894 0679) Tumuli (NR).
OS 6"map, Sutherlandshire, 2nd ed., (1908)
On waste ground is a stony mound cleared out in the centre, and nearby, traces of a few others. They appear to be the usual field clearance heaps.
RCAHMS 1911; Visited by OS (W D J) 28 June 1963.
There are several scattered stony mounds in this area of heather and gorse surrounded by cultivated ground. Some are of the type found in association with hut circles, others are modern. No pattern of cultivation plots is apparent.
Visited by OS (N K B) 12 August 1976.
The area was partly investigated by Highland Archaeology Services during an evaluation prior to a proposed housing development in 2007. No archaeological features were seen in the trenches, one of which (Trench 8) had been positioned to coincide with the area of the 'Tumuli'. <1>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 146, No. 418 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<1> Wood, J., 2007, Archaeological Evaluation: Lairg Muir Croft, Sutherland (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG22585.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 146, No. 418.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J.. 2007. Archaeological Evaluation: Lairg Muir Croft, Sutherland. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 05/07/2007. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5894 0676 (58m by 72m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5001 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.