MHG11998 - The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MOUND (Undated)
NC50NE 34 573 056.
(Area: NC 573 056) A mound about 27ft in diameter, which seems to have been excavated lies about 250 yards SE of the summit of the Ord.
There are a number of field clearance heaps in the area indicated, mostly associated with run-rig, and some probably contemporary with the earlier settlement and field system (See NC50NE 13). This particular mound was not located.
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 July 1976.
AP : The Ord North. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG13390.
Wickham Jones C, The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3520.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 138, No. 397 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Wickham Jones C; Harden J, 2000, The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail (Text/Publication/Leaflet). SHG2934.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): AP : The Ord North.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 138, No. 397.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Wickham Jones C; Harden J. 2000. The Ord, Lairg: Archaeological Trail.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Wickham Jones C. The Ord, Lairg A Journey Back in Time.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5729 0559 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1812 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1812 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5004 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.