MHG1200 - Burnt Mound, Hopefield
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURNT MOUND (Undated)
- (Former Type) CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
Nothing worthy of note was found when this cairn, of which hardly a trace remains, was cut through by a road.
RCAHMS 1911; Name Book 1872.
This cairn has been destroyed on the SW by the construction of a road, and on the NE by ploughing. All that remains is a grass-covered ridge, 1.0m maximum height and 2.0m maximum width, containing many rubble stones.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 4 November 1964.
(ND 0714 6771) Cairn (NR) (site of)
OS 6"map, (1969)
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (N K B) 24 August 1981.
'Burnt mound'. Trackway cutting reveals a section containing burnt and organically stained material. 14 by 7m and 1m high.
R J Mercer 1981.
- --- SHG2511 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R J. 1981. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: volume II, 1980-81. University of Edinburgh. 30/12/1981. Paper and Digital. 146, No. 409; plan.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 125, No. 452.
- --- SHG3341 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 11, 157.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0714 6771 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7799 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.