MHG12001 - Lairg Muir, South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC50NE 37 5900 0730.
(NC 5900 0730) Cairn (NR). OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)
Lairg Moor, South: The site of a round chambered cairn. The cairn was about 47ft diameter, but has now been almost totally removed except for a ring about 2ft high round the edge. A number of large stones in centre are obviously not earthfast and there is now no indication that there was a chamber. In 1909 RCAHMS (1911) reported 'a portion, however, still remains across the centre, from which the ends of several large upright stones protrude, indicating the chambered character of construction'.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963.
The remains of this cairn are as described above. It measures about 14m in diameter and the maximum height is 1m. A mutilated mound occupies the centre of the cairn but no evidence of a chamber was noted. Revised 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 26 June 1963.
This chambered cairn is as previously described.
Resurveyed at 1:2500 and 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1976.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 156, No. 453 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 322, SUT 39 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 156, No. 453.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 322, SUT 39.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5900 0730 (29m by 29m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1818 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1818 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5007 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.