MHG12003 - The Ord
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NC50NE 39 5782 0518.
NC 5782 0518. The fragmentary remains of a large enclosure 16.5m diameter with entrance 1m wide in SE side. Nearly whole of E side of enclosure has been destroyed; in the centre are the outlines of a small rectangular building 5.8 x 2.4m. This may be site described by the RCAHMS (1911) as a hut circle 26ft in internal diameter, since this is not otherwise identifiable in area described.
RCAHMS 1911; Visited by OS (W D J) 4 July 1963.
All that remains of this alleged enclosure is arc of a bank, possibly a tumbled wall, spread to 2.5m broad and 0.5m high which measures 18m across internally. There is no certain trace of bank continuing to form a circle. Within the arc is a rectangular shieling-like structure 6m by 3m. The site is overgrown with bracken.
Resurveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 26 July 1976.
From the present ground remains the site appears to consist of a small rectangular footing as described above, with an arc of banking to the S; probably constructed during stone clearance of the area. There is no clear indication that this bank formed an enclosure. An oval hut circle 20.0m to the SE is possibly the one noted by the RCAHM (see NC50NE 13). Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (J B) 15 March 1979.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5782 0580 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5009 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.