MHG12055 - Allt A' Chaoruinn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
(NC 3733 6312) Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1961)
Remains of a cairn about 50ft in overall diameter whose centre has been removed to form a shelter 14ft in diameter and 3ft to 4ft high. The bottom is covered with large boulders and sides show no sign of building. There is no indication of a cist or chamber but round N half of cairn is a tranch about 10ft wide and 2ft deep. This is not continued round S half where ground slopes rapidly away.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
A well-preserved round cairn with central chamber. The cairn measures 13.4m diameter and 1.6m in maximum height. A central excavation 3.7m in diameter and 1.8m deep reveals a chamber capstone partially buried by fallen stone. The fragmentary remains of a retaining circle can be traced around the E and SE perimeter.
Visited by OS (F D C) 5 Febuary 1957.
At bottom of the cleared area at centre of cairn is a cist, 1.2m by 0.6m by 0.5m deep internally with a displaced capstone about 1.2m in diameter and 20cms thick. Two small intrusions have been made on SE side of cairn, one of these are base level.
T C Welsh 1972.
A bare stone cairn 16.0m in diameter and 2.0m high, with a central cist as described by Welsh. There are no indications of a retaining circle. The trench round the N half has a well-defined scarp defining the far side and the ends; the near side is partially obscured by tumble off the cairn.
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J M) 16 November 1978.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Welsh, T C. 1972. 'Allt Ach a' Chorrain (N. of Burn) cist', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1972, p.42. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 42. 42.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 56, No. 164.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3733 6312 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4835 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.