MHG12098 - BA Flat Axe, Inchnadamph
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An Early Bronze Age flat axe (Coles' type Ba), 6" long by 4" across the face, found at Inchnadamph (NC 2521) was donated to the NMAS in 1860 by A Mitchell. (Acc No: DA 31)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1862; J M Coles 1971; NMAS 1876.
(Flat axe of Migdale type). Single find. Flat on one face, rough on the other, green scratch marks; length 150mm, butt 35mm, cutting edge 86mm, weight 460 gms. NMAS DA 31.
P K Scvhmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Evans, J. 1881. Ancient bronze implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain and Ireland. 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Junghans, Sangmeister and Schroder, S, E and M. 1968. Studien zu den Anfangen der Metallurgie II: Kupfer und Bronze in der fruhen Metallzeit Europas. pt. 2.3, no. 7313.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1876. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 88.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DA 31.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 43, no. 170.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1862. 'Donations to the museum and library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 3 1857-60, p.23-5,36-7,68-9,80-1,106-110,122-3,159-60,183-4,201-3,211-2,235-9,245-53. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 23-5,36-7,68-9,80-1,106-1. 363.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2500 2100 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-235-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4655 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.