MHG12126 - Chambered Cairn, Badnabay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC24NW 1 2187 4676.
(NC 2187 4676) Burial Chamber (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
Badnabay: Round Cairn, Orkney-Cromarty with polygonal chamber.
The site, which consists of a group of fifteen upright stones of gneiss, is on low-lying uncultivated land under 50 ft O D. The cairn has been completely removed but its edge can be traced giving a diameter of 40 ft NW-SE by 37 ft transversely. The entrance has been from SE. At cairn edge on this side there remain a pair of low portal stones 2 ft apart barely projecting above the present ground surface. The passage has been about 7 ft long, for at this distance further W are another pair of low stones, evidently the portals between the passage and chamber. The outer compartment of the chamber has been rectangular, about 5 ft 10 ins wide and about 4 ft long, and has one side stone surviving. A pair of transverse stones 2 ft high and set 2 ft 7 ins apart from the entrance into the inner compartment. This main compartment is oval, 10 ft 4 ins by 8 ft 9 ins, and built of taller stones, the largest 3 ft 8 ins high.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911; A J Boyd 1954.
Correct as described and planned. Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (W D J) 13 July 1960 and (J M) 27 May 1980.
NW SUT Local Plan, May1987: P23/2.36.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 58, No. 172 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Boyd, A J, 1954, 'Some observations on the Badnabay corridor-tomb, near Laxford Bridge, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 86 1951-2, p.206-8, 206-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1530.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 310, SUT 10; plan, fig. 60 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Boyd, A J. 1954. 'Some observations on the Badnabay corridor-tomb, near Laxford Bridge, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 86 1951-2, p.206-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 206-8. 206-8.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 58, No. 172.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 310, SUT 10; plan, fig. 60.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2186 4676 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1767 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1767 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4684 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.