MHG1219 - Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Freiceadain
A chambered long cairn with projecting stones suggesting the presence of internal structures.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Standing Stones (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)
This chambered cairn is 220ft long with two horns at the NE end projecting an additional 18ft and 30ft. A possible horn at the SW end projects 16ft. The SW end resembles a round flat-topped steep-sided cairn 8ft high and 53ft wide; from thence to NE end the cairn is about 35ft wide and 3-4ft high. Stones projecting from the cairn suggest a peristalith, a chamber, and cists or other structures (A S Henshall 1963), and these probably account for OS publication (RCAHMS 1911).
A S Henshall 1963, RCAHMS 1911. <1><2>
This turf-covered long cairn is generally as described above, but there is now no trace of the horn at SW end.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 November 1964.
(ND 0133 6542) Long Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 8 August 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 167-8, No. 96.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 107-8, no. 18; plan.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 56, 58, 75-7, 102, 267, CAT 18; plan, fig. 40.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 102, No. 370.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0132 6542 (82m by 102m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM90078 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7831 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.