MHG12227 - Fishing Station - Lochinver
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FISHING STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The site of a Fishing Station established in 1775.
NC02SE 7 093 223
The fishing station of Lochinver was owned by Macdonald of Skeabost who, from 1816 to 1848 also owned Isle Ristol, fomerly the property of the BFS (Dunlop 1952,272). Consequently, the New Statistical Account (1837-40) includes references not only to safe anchorage here, but also to a small convenient harbour, where 'a pier has been erected' (NSAS Assynt, V15,115). Lochinver had been one of the 'maritime villages' where development was earlier contemplated (Henderson 1812b, 143), and on a map from Dunrobin (Burnett & Scott 1833) its roadstead is shown with several ships. The new pier (1969) has covered over the site beyond the mouth of the River Culag to the south of the village where older OS maps marked a pier. The embankment of the road from Culag Bridge along the shore is of medium-sized blocks, quite neatly set, and may preserve the type of the masonry of the old pier. The shoreline of the head of the Loch contains several well smoothed rock landings, the best being in a small inlet below the church.
By the side of Loch-Inver is the fishing station of Culag, nuilt at the expence of £2000 Sterling, by John-Joseph Bacon, Esq; of the Isle Of Man, and one Mr Donald Ross partner, for a certain share of that sum. Of late years the lease and buildings have been all transferred to other adventurers. There is a small cruive on the little river of Culag, where perhaps a barrel of salmon may be catched throughout the season; its contiguity to the salmon-fishing of Inver River can vbe the only reason for the expence of its having a cruive and small chest across. <1>
See also <2>
The site of the Fishing Station established in 1775, is now the Culag Hotel. <3>
Visited by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. Noted as a modern pier and associated containers providing fishing boat moorings. <4>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. p.173.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A and Gordon, J. 1988. 'Old harbours in northern and western Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 117 (1987), pp 265-352. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Digital. 324.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde. 103-104; 233-235.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 75, p.98.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0922 2221 (120m by 120m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4513 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.