MHG44238 - Harbour - Lochinver


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • HARBOUR (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PIER (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The harbour at Lochinver.

The fishing station of Lochinver (see MHG12227) was owned by Macdonald of Skeabost who, from 1816 to 1848 also owned Isle Ristol, fomerly the property of the BFS (Dunlop 1952,272). Consequently, the New Statistical Account (1837-40) includes references not only to safe anchorage here, but also to a small convenient harbour, where 'a pier has been erected' (NSAS Assynt, V15,115). Lochinver had been one of the 'maritime villages' where development was earlier contemplated (Henderson 1812b, 143), and on a map from Dunrobin (Burnett & Scott 1833) its roadstead is shown with several ships. The new pier (1969) has covered over the site beyond the mouth of the River Culag to the south of the village where older OS maps marked a pier. The embankment of the road from Culag Bridge along the shore is of medium-sized blocks, quite neatly set, and may preserve the type of the masonry of the old pier. The shoreline of the head of the Loch contains several well smoothed rock landings, the best being in a small inlet below the church. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NC 0923 2224 (100m by 100m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NC02SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.