MHG12234 - Township, Poll A Gharbh Bhair
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Four buildings shown and named 'Polgarvier' in 1774-5 (J Home 1774-5). Depopulated and area named 'Poll a' Gharbh Bhair' in 1878 (OS 6"map, 1878)
J Home 1774-5; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1878)
There is a large enclosure of dry-stone walling with a rectangular fold at its NE corner. Inside the enclosure are the remains of a rectangular structure, also of dry-stone walling, possibly a building.
Approximately 100m NW of the large enclosure are the remains of two buildings of dry-stone walling, up to 1.0m high, with rounded corners. There are other fragmentary remains of walling which cannot be certainly identified as buildings.
Visited by OS (R D L) 15 May 1962.
The large enclosure and small fold post-date the 19th century clearances and the small building footing within the enclosure, measuring 5.0m by 4.5m, is probably contemporary. Three, possibly four, earlier longhouse footings occur to the NW and W; they all measure about 11.0m by 5.0m and survive to 0.4m average height. Associated low field walls are also evident.
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 August 1980.
An unroofed structure attached to the outside of the N wall of an enclosure or field is shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lxx), and it is similarly depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1992).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 8 September 1995
|Grid reference||Centred NC 1482 2426 (194m by 342m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4545 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.