MHG12247 - Iron Working Site, Tubeg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC12SE 1 198 246.
Iron mines were dug in Assynt of old and the ore was smelted in different parts of parish. 'At Tubeg particularly these mines were dug etc charcoal was plentifully got the bounds being one thick forest. John Sinclair, still living, found a piece of iron. .' which he used to make up agricultural implements and which from the description given was almost certainly a 'bloom' of iron from a bloomery. The OSA (OSA 1795) suggests that the iron mining and smelting were pre-'Scandinavian invasion' in date and RCAHMS (RCAHMS 1911) generally considers these sites prehistoric but recent information (A C M Mitford 1936) suggests a considerable 16th/17th century industry to S of Assynt, at Loch Maree, an area with which the Tubeg site may possibly be associated.
OSA 1795; RCAHMS 1911; A C M Mitford 1936.
The only reasonable certain evidence of iron mining in the Tubeg area is a short distance NW of ruined farm where there is a circular depression, 8m in diameter and 1.5m deep, probably a mine shaft or surface pit. On the headland called Torr an Eileen to N the slopes appear in places to have been dug into but this may be a natural formation. No evidence of a furnace was discovered and there were no traces of slag or cinders.
The ruins of Tubeg, apparently a farm, and the headland called Torr an Eileen fall within an area centred NC 198 246.
Visited by OS (E G) 18 May 1962.
No general change to the previous information. Two small surface quarry pits on a low eminence at NC19962456 may be associated with iron industry. They measure 3.0m across and 0.5m deep.
Visited by (J B) 12 August 1980.
Sir John Sinclair (ed.), 1791-9, The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, Vol. 16, 201 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2606.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 91 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Mitford, A C M, 1936, Guide to Wester Ross: Ullapool, Lochbroom Dundonnell, Gairloch, Achnasheen, Garve with historical and descriptive notes, 91 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2528.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitford, A C M. 1936. Guide to Wester Ross: Ullapool, Lochbroom Dundonnell, Gairloch, Achnasheen, Garve with historical and descriptive notes. 2nd ed.. 91.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 16, 201.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 91.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 1980 2460 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4542 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.